Friday, July 29, 2011

Kiddos & Sweet Cucumber Relish

I must admit, VBS has occupied a ton of my time this week.  Thankfully, our director gave me an awesomely me assignment.  I got to teach "discovery time" in our food themed VBS, aka: Faith & Food Science.  We made butter, salad dressing, even ice cream.

Today was the first day since Monday that I didn't have to work or have a drs appt during the day on top of VBS.  It was time to get some things done: Groceries, Shredding Zucchini, Prepping for Ice Cream in VBS, finding a new vet for the dog.... and Cucumber Relish.  Sorry, no Eye Candy.  I just didn't get around to it.



6 c. Finely Chopped Pickling Cucumbers
2 c. Finely Chopped Onions
3 tbsp. Pickling Salt
2 to 3 qts. Distilled Water, Chilled
3 c. Sugar
2 c. Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. Mustard Seeds
1 1/2 tsp. Celery Seeds

Finely chop Cucumbers & Onions.  I used the very fine frenching blade on my mandolin, then continued to dice the cucumbers (the onions didn't need it 'cuz their rings took care of the extra dicing).  Layer the onions & cucumbers in a bowl, sprinkling salt in between, then add water to cover.  Let sit for 2 hours then drain thoroughly.

Combine sugar, vinegar and spices in 6-8 qt. pan.  Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved then bring to a boil.  Add drained cukes and onion and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 in. headspace.  Process jars in boiling water for 15 minutes.


Now, I'm not one to actually eat anything pickled: I don't care for vinegar at all.  These things are all for the hubbs and company and gifts.  That being said, I think the liquid (syrup) to chunks ratio on this one is a lil off from what I'm used to seeing in a relish. If I were to make it again, I might use 8 or 9 c. Cucumber and 3 c. Onion.  Of course, corn relishes are equally fluid, so what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment