14 c. Diagonally Sliced Zucchini
1/2 c. pickling salt
6 c. White VInegar
4 c. Granulated Sugar
4 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Celery Seeds
2 tsp Ground Turmeric
1. Layer the zucchini and salt in a bowl, and fill with cool water to cover and let sit at room temp for 2 hours then drain and rinse.
2. Bring everything else to a boil then reduce and let simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add zucchini. Let sit at room temp for 1 hour.
4. Bring it back to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.
5. Pack into sterilized jars and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that, when packing jars, you try to release all the bubbles. Technically, being a pickle, this recipe requires 1/2 in. headspace, but even after you thought all the bubbles were released more will surface. My suggestion is to leave as little headspace as you can, knowing that the bubbles will surface and fix the problem. Also, be careful with the juice. That turmeric stains everything a neon yellow. Even my formica countertops.
P.S. If you don't pick your zucchini everyday, this can happen to you too
(don't ya just love his bed head?)