Wednesday, September 1, 2010

RICH Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (without a machine!)

Low(er) Fat, Organic & Agave Sweetened

To quote my mom "After the day I've had, you have no idea how good something chocolate that tastes like tequila sounds." 

Of course, it doesn't taste like tequila.  Blue Agave is indeed the plant tequila is made from and its syrup, WHEN PROPERLY PROCESSED has a very low glycemic index and load.  That means it doesn't impact your blood sugar in the dramatic way that most sugars do.  It's 1.4x as sweet as regular sugar and, with the right finagling, can be used in almost any application you would use white granulated sugar for. 

I have a bad habit of not cooking with a recipe.  I created this one from two recipes I found on the Internet (brave, considering I've never made ice cream before).  I gained quite a bit of inspiration from a few of David Lebovitz's Ice Cream Recipes & Methods.  That in mind, I'm not claiming this is the best ice cream on the planet, merely what I made.  I made it super rich so that a small amount would be satisfying.  This is a long process, I was up all night because I couldn't wait until Saturday to do it.  This made enough to fill my 1.88 pt container from pistachio gelato very full.  I'd say almost 2 pts. 

RECIPE
5 egg yolks
2/3 c. organic cocoa powder
3 c. Milk, divided (I used skim hormone-free because that's what I had, but the thicker the better in actuality)
1 c. Organic Peanut Butter
9 oz. Agave Nectar ( I used just over half of a 17 oz. Bottle)

In a sauce pot, warm agave nectar & peanut butter, mix thoroughly. 

In a sauce pot, warm 1 1/2 c. Milk and mix in cocoa powder.  Combine "Hot Chocolate" with "Sweet Peanut Butter"

Beat egg yolks.  Warm remaining milk and slowly mix into egg yolks. 

Combine all ingredients in sauce pot and warm on low heat until thickened. 

Pour into freezer & mixer-proof container and place in refrigerator to cool. 

When completely cooled, place in the freezer.  Remove and mix thoroughly with a hand mixer every 30 minutes until you are satisfied with its thickness.  Then put it in a freezer container and enjoy!

 

The freezing method can be used on any custard-based ice cream recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment