Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Beurre au Citron... on Broiled Spanish Mackerel

I'm not a huge fan of fish.  As a matter of fact, as far as I've been concerned, if it isn't beer battered and fried maybe it shouldn't be eaten at all.  Now, admittedly, today's recipe prolly is just as fattening (thank you, Julia) but my hope was that at least it'd help broaden my palette.  At least Beurre au Citron only calls for 1 stick of Butter, Beurre Blanc calls for 4!  You heard me, a whole pound of butter.





Now to the deets:
To broil Spanish mackerel (or any fish), get out ur broiling pan and warm up the broiler (or rearrange ur oven and preheat, if you're cooking with electric).  You can broil fish in all kinds of rubs and such but I'm talking about the plain jane application here.  Pat fish dry and toss in olive oil.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on flesh side and place filets skin-side up on broiler pan.  Broil for 3-4 minutes on one side (until the skin is bubbly, but not burnt) then GENTLY flip and do the other side for the same amount of time.


The Sauce (a'la Julia) MTAoFC, pg. 98
Put 1/4 c. lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper into a sauce pan and simmer down 'til u have 1 tbsp of liquid.  Cut a cold stick of butter into 8 (1 tbsp) pats.  Once juice is reduced, remove from heat and stir in 2 pats.  Then put pot on lowest heat possible and stir in the rest of the butter.  Set aside until you're ready to serve and to let it cool a little.  Just before you serve, stir in 2-3 tbsp warm fish or vegetable stock.  


I served it over the fish and rice (*shame*, its white rice... its what the hubbs takes for lunch and I forgot to buy brown) with an ear of corn.  A. What was I thinking serving corn on the cob with something already covered in butter?  B. See how huge those ears are? That's why I only used 11 when making the corn salsa.  

Anyways, the sauce was light and didn't overpower the fish (despite its tons of butter) and decidedly citrusey. The skin on the fish got nice and bubbly and it was a lil crisp near the tail.  Mmm, crunchy.  The sauce also went nicely on the rice.  I must say, I'm on my way to changing my mind about the whole fried fish thing.  



No comments:

Post a Comment