Saturday, February 26, 2011

Recipe Re-dos

When I started this little food experiment, my goal was to change what went into my food, rather than what that food was.  I know that certainly hasn't made it the perfect diet, by any means, but it's certainly more wholesome than what I was eating before.

Here are some favorite recipes I re-did this week:

Onion Rings
2 Medium Onions, cut into rings
2 Eggs
1 c. Cultured Buttermilk
~2c. Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs (I used store-bought Italian-style, because I had some around, but it didn't like the seasonings)
Whole Wheat Flour
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Powder
Spray Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 450.  Slice onions & toss with flour.  Mix eggs, buttermilk, salt, pepper & cayenne.  Dip rings in egg mix then coat in breadcrumbs.  Spray sheet pan, place coated rings on sheet & spray the top of rings.  Bake for 20 min, flipping halfway through.



They were a tad dry but I think any baked ring is gonna be that way.  Much tasty, though!

Bananas Foster
2 tbsp Butter
1/2 c. Agave Nectar
Ground Cinnamon
2 Bananas, sliced
1/4-1/2 c. Dark Spiced Rum
Crepe Thin Pancakes, Waffles or Ice Cream

Melt butter in saucier and add agave.  Once the mixture starts to boil, add cinnamon, bananas & rum.  Cook down with minimal stirring (it will mash the bananas) until the alcohol is cooked off & serve.  I made the mistake of adding the rum too late and stirring too much, so I wound up with mashed bananas and thick sauce but it was still tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment