Monday, August 8, 2011

Brrrrr...

No, Pennsylvania hasn't had a freak summer snow storm (actually, it's been quite miserable here), I've just been taking inventory of our freezer stock.  Of course, tomatoes aren't in and the corn is only about halfway in, but it's getting a little full in there so I figured it was time to take inventory.

On a tangential note, we've started to pick our corn (unfortunately, too soon for our corn roast next weekend.  Looks like we're gonna hafta buy some).  The method for freezing corn is simple: Husk it, blanch it, cut it off the cob, cool and freeze.  Unfortunately, I ran out of vaccuum bags just as the corn started coming in.  I sent Nick to the store for more.  After much frustration on both our parts, he came home with freezer quality quart-sized ziplocs and a straw (what a stinker!).



First, I had to take everything out:


...so I could Put it all back in in a more organized manner:

FWIW, that's an apartment sized fridge's freezer, not quite full-size.  

At this point (and it's not necessarily done) there are, in all quart bags:

8 Bags of Corn
4 Bags of Green Beans
3 Bags of Snow Peas
30 Bags of Zucchini Discs


2 comments:

  1. We always cut our corn off with an electric knife. It was super easy and fast! Also, we've used both the vacuum bags and ziplocs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had bought a corn stripper, but it was apparently broken when I bought it and I haven't had a chance to get another one

    ReplyDelete