Monday, August 22, 2011

Halushki

Our poor garden only produced two (rather puny) cabbages, bless it.  Thankfully they were both ready at the same time and equally thankfully, right before we leave town.




The #1 use for cabbage around here (esp since i haven't even dipped my toes into the lacto-fermenting pool) is halushki.  Nick loves it.  I'd say here's my recipe, but it's really more of a method than a recipe.  I'll give you general proportions, but a lot of that is personal preference.

1 head of cabbage, or 2 puny ones in my case, cut into 1" squares
1-1.5 lb bacon (a preference thing)
1 Yellow Onion, cut into strips
3/4ish Bag of Egg noodles (I like whole wheat)

Slice your bacon and toss it into a large saucier.  That way you won't have to make bacon bits later.  Separate bacon & brown thoroughly.

Strain bacon out, leaving drippings behind.

In the mean time, boil water and cook egg noodles.

Toss in onion.  Separate onion bits and cook until the outsides start to brown.

Add in cabbage and cover, stirring occasionally.

When cabbage is sufficiently wilted and cooked through, add in reserved bacon bits and egg noodles.


Om Nom Nom

No comments:

Post a Comment